Have you ever heard the old adage, “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure?” That’s what recycling is; sure, it looks like it is just trash, but in all honesty, it could be a piece of treasure just waiting to be snatched up. One of the issues that we have in the United States is that we throw too much stuff away. We think that it’s okay to just toss our junk into a trash can or dumpster and call it a day.
But did you know that there are a number of different things that you can donate? At Junk Jitsu, we actually donate about 1/2 to 2/3’s of what we receive and items we can’t donate are taken to a recycling center. That means we are sending your stuff to other people who can use it again.
Obviously, you can’t donate items like soda cans to be reused, but you can donate other items that can really help someone else. Here are just a few examples.
– Have you ever seen those “glasses donation boxes” at the optometrist’s office? Donating your old glasses can be a great idea, especially if you know you aren’t going to use them again. These donations go to those in foreign countries who don’t have the type of optometry services that we have in the United States, but are still in need of glasses in order to see clearly.
– Used electronics and appliances can always be donated, even if they’re completely dead. There are many organizations that will take (and sometimes give cash!) for your used electronics and appliances because they can recycle them or use the parts inside for multiple reasons.
– Bicycles are actually a very big thing that you can donate instead of throw away. Many people think that, just because a bicycle isn’t working, that it just has to be thrown away. There are a lot of little parts on a bicycle, and all of them play a role in making the bike work. Like your electronics and appliances, people can take the working parts and use them to replace parts on other bicycles.
– Construction materials, even ones like old sinks and tubs, don’t have to get thrown away when you’re done with a job. Donate them to a group like Habitat for Humanity or another organization that builds or renovates homes; they will be able to use them!
– Clothing and other personal items can always be donated instead of thrown away, just so long that they don’t have any holes or other issues that would make them unusable.
There are many more products that you can consider donating instead of throwing away. If you’re not sure whether or not you can donate an item, just let us know and we can tell you if a specific item can be donated. Then, we will take care of donating the items for you. If not, we’ll make sure that they are recycled properly. It’s a win/win situation!
When was the last time that you donated something instead of just throwing it away? Were you glad to know that someone else would be able to use it in an effective manner? Leave some thoughts in the comments; we can’t wait to hear how donating has affected you and/or those around you.
Junk Jitsu is a junk removal company located in Northern Virginia, and we are glad that you decided to come and check out our blog. As you can see from browsing our site, we are able to help with a number of junk removal and moving services. We focus on giving you the best quality services for the lowest price possible. You can check out our services page to learn more about our eco-friendly services.